I have a lot of favorite quotes, but if I had to choose a motto, that would be
do more of what makes you happy.
With work, or school, and the commitments of every day life, it's really easy to get swamped into a routine that makes it difficult to find the time for the simple things that makes us happy and that lighten and brighten our days.
It doesn't matter if it's only for a few hours a week, I think we should all take the time to do something we enjoy, whether it's simply reading a book, go to a café with a friend, or even go hiking!
Sometimes the little things, no matter how small or trivial they may seem, can make a difference and add moments to our days that can make us smile.
Five things that I enjoy doing whenever I have a hole in my schedule are:
- Doodle mindlessly in my personal sketchbook: I just doodle for the pleasure of doing it, no one has to see the outcome and it takes away all the pressure that comes with it, so it doesn't matter what I draw, as much as it matter that I draw for fun.
- Baking & cooking: I cook lunch and dinner everyday, but most of the time I consider it a chore. I have things to do before and after supper, so I can't take as much time as I'd like for it. However, especially on the weekend, I enjoy spending time in the kitchen to prepare more articulated dishes, or even to treat myself and bake something!
- Go for a tea or a coffee: both tea and coffee are essential to fuel my days, but I very rarely go out to a café to enjoy one, and whenever I do, I always get a cookie and treat it like a special occasion.
- Sing along to my favorite childhood songs: I have a playlist on Spotify where I collect all the cheesy pop punk songs I loved growing up. Sometimes, when I'm alone at home, I enjoy blasting them and singing along feeling like I'm 16 all over again.
- Cuddle up in a blanket and read: a book and a blanket it's one of those combos made in heaven, and I try to cut out an hour every evening to enjoy it.
When you start thinking about it, there are so many small opportunities to do something that can make us even a tiny bit happier. Sometimes it's the little things that matters most, don't you think?
What's something simple you enjoy doing whenever you have a little bit of down time? I would love to hear them!
This was a post for my #DoMoreInOctober project! If you joined too, you can link your post below: